Because felines are finicky and possessive when it comes to litter boxes, a good rule is one box per cat in the household. A litter box can never be too large. This is particularly important for bigger breeds. The cat must be able to turn around comfortably inside it.
In multi-cat households, open litter boxes are better because they offer the feline user a 360-degree view of the surroundings so they can see if another cat it approaching and plotting a box ambush. Similarly, never line up multiple boxes in a row, a nervous cat will view them as one big box and possibly avoid them all if there are tensions between cats in the home. Placing them in different known traffic areas will eradicate this problem. Choose a place that works best for your cat – not you!
Be sure to use a litter that doesn’t smell like perfume or has a lot of dust. Cats have 200 million scent receptors! Luckily ökocat® natural litters have no added synthetic scents and very little dust and are flushable IF you scoop and flush one clump at a time.
Finally, it goes without saying that you need to KEEP IT CLEAN! We don’t like the smell or mess and neither does your cat. So be sure to clean it daily. A clean box with natural litter like ökocat® equals a happy, healthy cat, home and planet.
1. KEEP IT CLEAN - scoop once a day or more. Flush ökocat litter one clump at a time. *ökocat® is designed to flush in well-maintained systems. Flush minimal extra litter and one doody at a time.
The state of California discourages flushing feces in toilets.
2. Stay away from cleaning chemicals - use hot soapy water to clean box when empty.
3. Use ökocat® litter and stick with it - don't change each time there is something else on sale.
4. Switch gradually - put old litter on top and new on the bottom until they get used to it.
5. One litter box for each cat - no one likes to share!
6. Place in different areas - one on each floor of your home
7. Nice and quiet - a little privacy please!
8. Take off the hood - they just keep odors trapped
9. No added scents - ökocat® litter has no added perfumes or fragrances
10. Limit tracking (all litter tracks to some extent) - use a high-sided litter box and place an old towel or shaggy bathmat that you can just shake and wash underneath and then another rug that extends out 3 feet to catch even more litter.