The trend toward using more natural and sustainable products for our furry friends has been growing in recent years. More and more pet owners are becoming concerned about the manufacturing processes and materials that go into many conventional pet products. They want to reduce their cat's exposure to harsh chemicals, plastics, and other unnatural substances. The good news is there are now lots of great options for natural, eco-friendly gifts for cats this holiday season.
In this post, we'll explore gift ideas made from natural, biodegradable materials that are not only better for the planet but also safer for your cat. Cats have a keen sense of smell and taste and they often ingest substances during grooming. Choosing natural fibers and materials reduces their contact with potentially toxic dyes, chemicals, and plastics. We'll cover fun and stimulating toys, tasty treats, cozy beds, cool accessories, and more - all made sustainably and ethically. Give your cat a natural holiday this year!
Some of the best natural and biodegradable cat toy gifts include:
- Organic catnip toys - Look for catnip toys stuffed with organic catnip and made of natural materials like cotton or hemp. The catnip herb is a safe and natural way to provide enrichment.
- Cardboard scratchers - Scratching is an instinctual behavior for cats. Cardboard scratchers allow them to scratch without damaging furniture. Opt for recyclable cardboard scratchers without dyes or chemicals.
- Food puzzles - Food puzzles engage a cat's natural foraging instincts. Choose wooden, ceramic, or cardboard food puzzles and hide treats inside for mental stimulation.
- Feather wand toys - Wands with natural feather attachments are perfect for mimicking prey during playtime. Look for wands made of sustainable wood or bamboo.
- Balls - Balls made of cork, wool, or recycled materials like plastic bottles make great toss and chase toys without dyes or plastic.
- Tunnels - Tunnels crafted from cardboard are an affordable option cats love to explore. Avoid plastic tunnels and opt for recyclable materials. The okocat bag works great!
- Organic cat grass - Grow your own organic cat grass for nibbling and digestion. The easy-to-grow kits are chemical-free and good for their tummy.
Cats love treats! Here are some great organic and natural treat ideas to spoil your feline friend:
- Organic catnip - Give your cat a fun, safe high with certified organic catnip. Look for catnip grown without pesticides or chemicals.
- Natural meat jerky treats - Look for jerky-style treats made with free-range chicken, grass-fed beef or wild-caught fish. This is a tasty way to give cats more protein.
- Organic greenies. -These organic dental treats help clean your cat's teeth and freshen breath. Cats love the natural chicken flavor.
- Salmon skin treats. What cat can resist real salmon skin? These natural treats pack protein and omega fatty acids.
- Freeze-dried raw treats - Made from raw meat, these freeze-dried treats are like cat crack. It's the closest you can get to a raw diet in treat form.
- Cat grass - Let your cat safely nibble on organic cat grass grown from wheatgrass, rye or oat seeds. This aids digestion.
Coconut oil treats - Natural coconut oil is anti-viral and promotes healthy skin and fur. Cats love the taste too.
Natural Cat Beds To Give This Holiday
Give your cat a cozy and eco-friendly place to sleep this holiday with one of these natural cat beds:
- Cardboard cat beds - Made from recycled cardboard, these beds are lightweight, disposable, and affordable. Look for biodegradable glue and non-toxic dyes. Great for providing a temporary bed or hiding spot.
- Seagrass cat beds - Handwoven from natural seagrass, these beds are sturdy and durable. Seagrass is pest-resistant, biodegradable, and sustainable. Choose an open weave for ventilation.
- Rattan cat beds - Crafted from natural rattan vines, these beds have an elegant look. Rattan is breathable and decomposes naturally. Select a bed with rounded edges for safety.
- Wood cat beds - Beds made from sustainable wood like bamboo or pine can provide an elevated place for your cat to lounge. Look for non-toxic stains and finishes. Best for indoor use.
- Wool cat beds - Filled with natural wool, these cushy beds provide warmth and comfort. Wool repels odors, regulates temperature, and is biodegradable. Ensure the wool is ethically sourced.
Help your cat climb, play, and rest easily in their natural habitat with these eco-friendly cat furniture ideas. Sisal rope is a popular, natural fiber for cat scratching posts and cat trees.
- Sisal cat trees - Sisal rope wrapped around wood posts creates excellent vertical scratching surfaces. Look for cat trees and scratching posts made of sisal rope, natural wood, and cardboard. These renewable materials are ideal for cats to climb, scratch, and lounge on. The rough texture helps cats remove dead outer claws and mark territory.
- Cardboard playhouses. - Recycled cardboard is an affordable, biodegradable material for cat furniture. Look for playhouses, scratch pads, beds, and more made of corrugated cardboard. Let your cat claw and gnaw at cardboard without damaging your home. When the cardboard gets torn up, simply recycle it and replace with a new one.
- Natural wood platforms - Cats love elevated perches for supervising their domain. Opt for natural wood platforms and shelving units to create fun vantage points. Unfinished wood gives cats a great scratchable surface as well. Look for solid wood, bamboo, or sustainable fast-growing wood like acacia.
Cats need regular brushing and grooming to keep their coats healthy. Here are some natural grooming gift ideas for your feline friend:
- Bamboo bristle brush - Bamboo is sustainable and the natural bristles are gentle on your cat's skin. Look for ones with rubber tipped ends to massage your cat while brushing dirt and loose fur.
- Organic cat shampoo - Choose a natural shampoo made from plant-based ingredients like aloe vera, coconut and oatmeal. Avoid harsh chemicals and artificial fragrances which can irritate your cat's sensitive skin. Pick an eco-friendly brand that comes in biodegradable packaging.
- Deshedding tool - Help minimize hairballs and shedding with a natural rubber grooming tool that removes loose fur without irritating your cat's skin.
- Nail clippers - Trimming your cat's nails regularly is an important part of grooming. Opt for stainless steel nail clippers made from recycled materials.
- Reusable grooming wipes - Cut down on waste with reusable organic cotton wipes and all-natural cleaning spray to freshen up your cat between baths. Look for plastic-free packaging.
Cats need a few accessories to make life easier for them and their humans. Here are some eco-friendly options:
- Biodegradable litter mats - Litter mats trap stray litter from kitty's paws after using the litter box. Biodegradable mats made from natural materials like bamboo and grass are a sustainable choice. They can be composted at the end of their life instead of sitting in a landfill.
- Natural biodegradable cat litter - Make the switch to okocat natural biodegradable cat litter that's better for cats, family and home.
- Natural fiber scratching posts - Scratching posts protect your furniture by giving kitty an approved place to scratch. Opt for posts wrapped in sisal rope or made from cardboard, both biodegradable materials.
- Bamboo food bowls- Swap out plastic food and water bowls for biodegradable bamboo ones. Bamboo is naturally antimicrobial so it inhibits bacteria growth. It's also durable enough to withstand daily use.
- Reusable silicone food mats - Silicone food mats prevent spills and messes at meal time. They're reusable and dishwasher safe. Silicone is non-toxic and more eco-friendly than disposable plastic mats.
For the fashion-forward feline, consider some cozy and stylish clothes made from natural materials:
- Organic cotton cat sweaters - A soft cotton sweater will keep your cat warm and comfortable during the chilly winter months. Look for sweaters made from 100% organic cotton for maximum softness and sustainability. Make sure to get the right size for a proper fit.
- Hemp hoodies - Hemp is a very breathable and durable material that makes comfortable hoodies for cats. The hood adds an adorable accent while keeping your cat's head and ears warm.
- Bamboo pajamas - For lounging around the house, bamboo pajamas are a good choice. Bamboo is a renewable fabric that is very soft and flexible. Pajamas come in cute prints and styles.
Keep your cat entertained and make your life a little easier with these eco-friendly tech gifts.
Smart interactive toys keep your cat entertained while you're away.
The Petcube Bites has treat dispenser you can remotely control and video monitor with 2-way audio. it has a recyclable aluminum body and retail package.
This holiday season, consider giving gifts to your feline friends that are both fun and environmentally friendly. We've covered a wide range of gift ideas - from natural cat toys and tasty organic treats to eco-beds and sustainable furniture.
When shopping for kitty this year, look for products made from renewable, recycled, or biodegradable materials. Avoid plastic and synthetic materials when possible. Brands that use natural dyes, sustainable manufacturing practices, and mindfully-sourced materials are ideal.
Your cat will love playing with toys made from materials like cardboard, hemp, or cotton rope. Fill their stockings with tasty salmon or chicken treats free of artificial ingredients. Get them a cozy place to sleep made from recycled plastic bottles or organic cotton.
By choosing earth-friendly gifts for your cat, you can reduce waste and your pet's exposure to harmful chemicals. It's a win-win - your cat gets to enjoy safe, fun gifts while you reduce your environmental impact. This holiday season, go green for your furry friend. They'll thank you with purrs and playtime!